Big brands have always upped their game on entertainment value when it came to Super Bowl commercials. But what about the price tag? Fan viewing patterns are rapidly shifting from cable to streaming services. Following them out the door are the ad revenues and sky high price tags for what was once considered the golden goose of ad spend.
Ad Revenue Shifts Online
According to Google, Since 2015, traditional linear TV viewership of the Super Bowl is down 14 percent, while digital streaming increased by 200 percent from 1.3 million to 2.6 million. A similar uptick can be seen for digital advertising. With the landscape continually evolving it’s a moving target but here are some of best practices and emerging technologies to consider.
Types of Digital Ads
There are four main types of digital ads:
- Google and Bing search ads
- Facebook and Instagram ads
- Display ads
- YouTube ads
Search ads are the most popular of the group. Their pull-based marketing technique steers individuals who have already shown an intent to buy by searching for a particular topic, service or product. Other options follow a push-based marketing model with ads popping up into a person’s social media feed, on a website display and in the pre-roll for a YouTube video, all based on a range of different demographic data.
- Content-based ads on Facebook and other social platforms can be used to generate awareness for your brand and funnel leads into a nurture program, where remarketing ads and email drips can push these leads towards a sales conversion.
- Google Ads and a dedicated SEO strategy ensure that prospects find you when they search for your brand, your content, or your services. This serves to enhance your brand authority and increase conversion rates over time.
- Having an expertly crafted and conversion-optimized website makes it easy for prospects to make purchases or convert into paying customers. Additionally, deploying a transactional set of social ads to a website or content download remarketing audience can be a great way to add touchpoints and drive conversions from an audience with whom you’ve already interacted.
Overall, it’s recommended a strategic combination of the different ad mediums should be used to get the best results.
Long Game vs. Short Game
The length of a campaign is equally as important as the type of advertising you choose.
An ideal campaign length are 12 months, with a minimum commitment of three months. By giving your campaign time to build momentum you also insulate it from events that could greatly impact the accuracy of the results, the pandemic being a prime example.
Get On or Get Out
These days digital ads are a must. Businesses that haven’t pivoted to a digital model in some capacity will have a much harder time of catching up to the rest of the pack and staying alive.
With our platform it’s easier than ever to guide your business through the solutions you need to learn more about your customers, reach a wider audience and boost your bottom lines.